History of Fiber Optics
The History of Fiber Optics from the 19th century to the present is a fascinating story of scientific development and perseverance. This video/CD-ROM is especially beneficial for new employees, students, and those who want a deeper understanding of the fiber optics industry.
- The Pioneers of fiber optics in the 19th and 20th centuries
- Early through mid 20th century discoveries
- 1950s: internal reflection, fiber structure & applications and other issues.
- 1960s: lasers and Charles Kao''s fiber proposal
- Early 1970s: development of systems, splicing, connectors & test equipment
- Late 1970s: development of systems, splicing, connectors & test equipment.
- The Implementation Years
- 1980s: 1st generation singlemode systems, deregulation and submarine systems
- 1990s and beyond: the Internet, DWDM and the future