Visual Fault Locator, 2.5 mm adapter
The Corning Cable Systems VFL-350 emits either continuous or 3 Hz flashing visible laser light at a wavelength of approximately 635 nm to perform continuity checks and locate faults in both multi- and single mode fibers optical fibers and components.
The VFL-350 makes use of a Class 2 laser with a power output of less than 1mW. Under normal operations, the laser light is not dangerous.
As shipped, the VFL-350 is suitable for standard 2.5 mm single fiber connector ferrules. Corning Cable Systems CTS kits, e.g TKT-UNICAM- CTS, contain a splitter which will permit use of a VFL-350 with 2-fiber connectors.
The VFL-350 has the following general specifications:
- Power requirements: 2 AAA alkaline batteries (provided)
- Battery life: Approximately 40 hours in flashing mode
- Operating temperature -10to +40 C
- Storage temperature -40to +70 C
To operate the VFL-350:
- After removing the dust cap, fully insert the connector ferrule into the adapter on the front of the locator.
- Turn the locator on by pressing the on /off switch at the end of the unit.
- Press the continuous / flashing mode switch on the side of the locator for the desired setting.
- Replace the dust cap on the VFL after you have completed the fault location or continuity check.
To replace the batteries in the VFL-350:
- After turning the VFL-350 off, unscrew the laser unit on the front of the locator.
- Insert two AAA alkaline batteries as shown in Figure 2.
- Screw the laser unit back into place.
- Properly dispose of the used batteries.