Fiber Optic Communication Systems 3rd Ed. 2002 Govind P. Agrawal
"Comprehensive coverage of the fundamentals and applications...well organized content, adequate problems, and abundant reference for further study make this book a usable textbook...recommended..." (E-Streams, Vol. 6, No. 8)
"...a comprehensive and up-to-date account of fiber-optic communication systems." (CIE News, December 2003)
Glass Technology, December 2000
"...I feel this a must for a researcher in the field of fiber-optic communications" --This text refers to an out of print or unavailable edition of this title.
The Institute of Optics, University of Rochester
* ".readers searching for a wide ranging and up-date view of fibre optic communication systems would do well to purchase this book."-International Journal of Electrical Engineering Education (on the Second Edition)
* This comprehensive, up-to-date account of fiber-optic communication focuses on the physics and technology behind fiber-optic communication systems while covering both the systems and components aspects
* Provides extensive details on the WDM technology and system design issues that have developed since the last edition
* An Instructor's Manual presenting detailed solutions to all the problems in the book is available from the Wiley editorial department.
Offers comprehensive, up to date coverage of fiber-optic communication systems with an emphasis on physical understanding and engineering aspects. CD-ROM included.
From the Back Cover
Praise for the Second Edition
"The book covers an extremely large range of topics and provides an excellent starting point . . . Readers searching for a wide-ranging and up-to-date view of fiber-optic communication systems would do well to purchase this book."
International Journal of Electrical Engineering Education
The latest edition of a proven bestseller offers comprehensive, up-to-date coverage of fiber-optic communication systems with an emphasis on physical understanding and engineering aspects. The author covers both the systems and components aspects of fiber-optic communication systems with a focus on the physics and technology behind them. The Third Edition has been updated to reflect the current state of the art of lightwave transmission systems, with particular emphasis on the rapid development of the WDM technology and system design issues pertaining to current topics of research. These include new data on lightwave systems design, optical amplification and dispersion-management techniques, multichannel lightwave systems, soliton communication systems, and coherent lightwave systems. Some of the material has been rearranged to facilitate the design of courses in optical communications.
Students and researchers alike will benefit from extensive pedagogical aids including:
- Extensive reference lists for each chapter
- Survey of recent research material for each topic
- Relevant end-of-chapter practice problems for teachers and students
- Solutions Manual available to teachers on request
- System design software on the enclosed CD-ROM
Although intended primarily as a textbook for graduate students of fiber-optic communications, this book is also a valuable resource for undergraduate courses at the senior level and a valuable professional reference for researchers and engineers working in the fields of telecommunications and lightwave technology.
About the Author
GOVIND P. AGRAWAL is a professor at the Institute of Optics at the University of Rochester and a Fellow of both the Optical Society of America and the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineering. He is the author or coauthor of over 300 research papers, book chapters, and monographs.